Grand Canyon Synod Grants Program
Message from Bishop Steve Talmage
In an effort to steward the gifts this synod has received from the sale of closed congregations, bequests from individuals (Warner Trust Fund), congregations sharing a tithe of bequests they have received, grant funds from the West Valley Lutheran Thrift Shop, and allocation of unrestricted gifts to the synod, we are fortunate to have both endowed and temporarily restricted funds to provide grants for new and renewing ministries, and other ministry outreach projects.
Given the challenging economic times we have experienced over the past decade, these resources have been critical leaven to our outreach efforts. They are also a testament of God’s provision in our time of need. In September 2015 we implemented a new Grant Application process to strengthen our mutual stewardship and accountability. Over the past year this new process has proved beneficial for both the Synod office and the ministries involved.
Links to the grant application forms for 2017 funding are below. Please note the deadline to submit applications of October 15, 2016. Funding of approved applications begins February 1, 2017.
Thank you for your partnership and your commitment to live into this new grant process.
In Christ’s Service,
Bishop Steve Talmage
- All organized congregations of the Grand Canyon Synod
- All New Starts and Special Ministries of the Grand Canyon Synod
- Institutions and agencies in good standing with the ELCA or Grand Canyon Synod
There are two categories of grant applications. Please read each description carefully before starting the application process.
- Annual Grant Announcement shall occur in September.
- Applications must be submitted by October 15.
- Notification of grants awarded shall be no later than November 15.
- All grants begin with the Synod’s fiscal year, February 1.
*A Grant Letter will be sent to the Contact Person listed on the application; this grant letter must be signed and returned to the Synod office before grant funds will be released.
*Mortgage reduction payments, landscaping, rent or utility requests will not be funded.
*If you have questions regarding the Grant Process or applications please contact Pr. Miguel Gomez-Acosta, Director for Evangelical Mission, or Kim Stevens, Assistant to the Bishop for Administration.
Grant Applications and Instructions
- All application questions must be answered in full.
- You have the option to save your application and return to complete it at a later time.
- All applications must be submitted electronically.
- During the review process the GCS Grant Review Team may contact the applicant with questions or to schedule an interview.
Outreach Ministry Funding Opportunities
The Grand Canyon Synod has been blessed with gifts that have allowed the Outreach Grants Program to provide support for projects and ministries within its region of Arizona and portions of Nevada and Utah. Several of the funds have been charitable gifts from individuals out of their love for the Lord and His ministry through the Lutheran Church. Donors who are interested in continuing the mission outreach work of the Synod through gifts establishing a fund in their name should contact Bishop Steve Talmage at the Grand Canyon Synod office.