Urban Immersion Ministry Internship, Milwaukee, WI
Unity Lutheran Church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is looking for their next Ministry Intern to spend a year with the congregation gaining leadership experience in Jesus’ mission within an urban context. Please share the following information with people you know who are planning to attend seminary or graduate school in the near future. God may be calling them to this unique opportunity for learning through service, from June 2013 through May 2014, prior to beginning their studies. For more information or to view the flyer click here. To view a letter from the pastor of the congregation click here.
Candidacy Initial Steps
The process of candidacy is established by the ELCA Department of Candidacy. However, to assist potential candidates for rostered ministry, we have included a checklist of initial steps for candidates.
If you feel God is calling you to rostered leadership in the church and are exploring the possibility of seeking candidacy in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, here are some initial steps:
1. Talk with your pastor about your interest.
2. Visit the ELCA Department of Candidacy and read the selections entitled Thinking About Ministry, Types of Rostered Ministry, and The Candidacy Process.
3. Contact Dr. Teri Traaen, Assistant to the Bishop for Candidacy or 602.957.3223 and request a copy of the small book, "What Shall I Say?"
4. Read the book, pray for direction and guidance. Continue to have dialogue with your pastor and leaders in your congregation about your interest. You should also read the document Vision and Expectations for Ordained Pastors and for Word & Service Roster. (Associates in Ministry, Deaconesses and Diaconal Ministers).
5. Locate the Application for Entrance to Candidacy form at the ELCA's web site. Read this and prepare an Entrance Essay by responding to the questions indicated. While visiting this portion of the ELCA site, scroll to the top of the page and note the link to "Candidate Checklists." You will find this information helpful.
6. When your Application for Entrance to Candidacy, Entrance Information form, Entrance Essay and application fee (see below) are received in the Synod office, you will be sent further information entitled "Next Steps". This information will enable you to complete the following requirements for the entrance process:
- Schedule and complete an initial interview.
- Contact the ELCA-certified,licensed psychologist who will administer the Career Counseling and Psychological Testing process.
- Complete the reference checking and background check details for your candidacy process.
- In addition, your congregation will be asked to complete a registration form and will have an opportunity to indicate the level of financial support they may be able to provide as you fulfill the education requirements for rostered leadership in the ELCA.
Candidacy Application Fee Including Psychological Evaluation
$ 1325.00 Full Fee 250.00 Synod in Kind Scholarship $1,075.00 Total due from Candidate at the time an application is submitted to the Grand Canyon Synod $100.00 Background Investigation (entire cost paid by the Grand Canyon Synod)
7. While you are in the process of working through these initial steps, you may also explore seeking admission to seminary. The ELCA has eight seminaries; click here for more information.
8. It is important to remember that candidacy is a process and involves developing a relationship with the Candidacy Committee. Assistant to the Bishop for Candidacy, Dr. Teri Traaen is available to help you through what may initially seem to be an involved and confusing process. Do not hesitate to make use of her knowledge and experience! Stay in touch with her when you have questions and as you move through the process.
God be with you as you begin and complete the various steps in this process. We welcome you to the Candidacy process for the ELCA.