- Bishop's Voice
- Contact Us / Visit
- Missional Church
LUTHERAN DISASTER RESPONSE - EBOLA OUTBREAK
In the last several months, the Ebola outbreak has claimed thousands of lives. The virus has spread rapidly, and with no approved vaccine and a high fatality rate, the World Health Organization is now calling it “one of the world’s most lethal diseases.” Ebola has spread to multiple countries, the hardest hit being Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.
In addition to health care, one of the most urgent needs is food. As people in affected areas are quarantined to their homes, towns are being shut down to limit the spread of the virus and people are not able to work, harvest crops or purchase food. The shipment of food has also stopped because people from other countries fear contracting the virus.
“We need food,” says the Rev. D. Jensen Seyenkulo, bishop of the Lutheran Church in Liberia. “There is a saying now: ‘If we don’t die of Ebola, we will die of starvation.’”
Lutheran Disaster Response:
Lutheran Disaster Response is committed to walking with our brothers and sisters affected by the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Operating through our partners and companion churches, together we are:
- Supplying and shipping essential protective gear and supplies to protect medical workers at Phebe Hospital and Curran Lutheran Hospital in Liberia.
- Providing food assistance to the Lutheran Church in Liberia and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Sierra Leone.
- Raising awareness and providing sensitization messages on the symptoms and prevention methods of Ebola.
- Completing construction of an isolation center at Phebe Hospital and School of Nursing that meets World Health Organization standards.
What Can You Do?
Pray for those affected or threatened by the virus that they may be granted healing and hope.
Your gifts designated for Ebola Outbreak Response will be used in full (100 percent) to assist those directly impacted by this crisis. Gifts from people like you allow us to respond to those who are most vulnerable.
To learn more about the situation and the ELCA’s response:
- This bulletin insert can be used in your congregation to spread awareness and raise gifts for our church’s response to the Ebola outbreak.
- Check the Lutheran Disaster Response blog for updates and the latest information.
- Follow the ELCA News blog to keep up on the news about our church's response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Sign up to receive Lutheran Disaster Response alerts.
Thank you for your continued prayer and financial support of Lutheran Disaster Response as they seek to bring God's hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by disasters in the United States and around the world.